13/05/2012

Croatia: Korčula

Last summer my boyfriend and I spent the best part of three weeks travelling around Croatia, taking in Hvar, Korçula, Dubrovnik, Braç and Split. I thought I'd do a short series of posts on the trip, as it was one of my favourite holidays and it's a beautiful country.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket 

Korčula was the perfect place to relax after the intoxicating buzz of Hvar, and although we only had about 48 hours to spend there, it was just the perfect amount of time to unwind before heading on to the hustle and bustle of Dubrovnik. 

We stayed in Korčula Town, a beautiful old walled city with a rich history and dating back to the 12th century. It's also, according to legend, the birth place of Marco Polo, which became very apparent wandering through the narrow little streets, as stalls and shops touting Marco Polo themed souvenirs abound. It reminded me very much of Venice which I suppose makes sense, given it was once a part of the Venetian Republic, but a Venice of a much more peaceful, slower paced variety. 

As we didn't have much time in Korčula, we were unable to explore the rest of the island, which is apparently home to some incredible white sand beaches. So instead we spent our days sitting by the harbour, admiring the incredible views, and wandering through the narrow streets, stopping for incredibly long and lazy lunches, with carafes of wine and cathedral views. One of the highlights of the trip was a dinner at Lesic Dimitri, with views of the twinkling lights of the mainland and the most delicious lamb for me and chorizo stew for him.

Another must do was the cocktail bar, "Buffet Massimo." In a turret, the top floor is only accessible by ladder, and the cocktails are brought up by a pulley system. To be perfectly honest, it was a little tacky and gimmicky, and I've definitely had better cocktails, but they were affordable and wiggling down a ladder after a couple of drinks was definitely an experience I'll never forget. 

I really loved my time in Korčula, and would definitely recommend a stop there if you're ever island hopping in Croatia. It's the perfect place to unwind and take things a little slower before heading on elsewhere.  I only wish we had the chance to explore a little further.

9 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful in Korčula. My mom is from a small island in Croatia like this.
    Enjoy your trip.

    <3 Hudson East
    HudsonEast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that last photo is just stunning! I'm loving your blog girl, I'm your newest follower! I hope you'll follow me back and we can keep in touch. I love discovering new blogs!

    Sarah xoxo
    http://pandorasboxblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amaaaaazinnngggg... Nice Photos Honey. I like you Blog ;) I Follow You ...if you like my Blog follow me back. Big Kisses from Germany ;****

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like so much fin!

    www.kimgodschalk.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Croatia before, but it looks beautiful! The food looks amazing as well!
    Thank you for your lovely comment, good luck with your exam too!
    Love Charlie, xo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...gorgeous, great pictures and writing! Maybe follow each other, I would like to.......
    http://aprettylife13.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg went to that same exact restaurant in Korcula! (the one in the first and second picture). Croatia is such an amazing place to travel around - lola x

    http://thepastimebliss.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. sch a nice post!!! beautiful places!

    ReplyDelete