16/08/2012

Croatia: Braç: Supetar, Bol, Milna

Last summer my boyfriend and I spent the best part of three weeks travelling around Croatia, taking in Hvar, Korçula, Dubrovnik, Braç and Split. I thought I'd do a short series of posts on the trip, as it was one of my favourite holidays and it's a beautiful country. You can read the rest of the series by clicking here.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Braç gave me some of my favourite moments and some of my worst. 
I'll get the low points out of the way shall I? 
We stayed in a hostel (mistake #1) in Supetar (mistake #2) and while I'm sure Supetar has its positives, my experience of it left a lot to be desired. Everywhere we went to in Croatia was overrun with tourists, but Supetar took it to another level: a package-holiday-kids-screaming-sunburn-drink-drink-drink kind of level. It felt very "brits abroad" ... i.e. not what I want from a holiday. Anyway, we got into the swing of things and explored the strip of bars and sampled some of their many potent cocktails, and walked home drunk and dancing to some music we could hear in the distance. 
And befriended a shark.
Photobucket
 
Our hostel definitely reflected the atmosphere of the town. I think it would be a lot of fun if I was on holiday with my friends and keen to get wasted and laid, and it does tout itself as that kind of place, so it is kind of our (my) fault for booking it in the first place... but, that doesn't excuse the fact that all but one of the bathrooms were out of order, the staff were either drunk or hungover and constantly incompetent and there was a lot of sex going on right under your nose. Okay so that's fairly standard with a hostel but on top of everything else it really annoyed me. Apparently at some point in my 21 years I've turned into an old lady.
The next day we hired a car and set off for the legendary beach of Bol. It's called the Golden Horn and stretches into the ocean in a great big triangle that's shaped by the wind. It's pretty much the coolest beach in the world. 
Photobucket

Photobucket

Yeah, it's awesome. 

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's a haven for windsurfers and kite-surfers and anyone who loves waves and splashing about like a crazy person. It was ridiculously windy and wavy; swimming here was the most fun I'd had in ages, and was the perfect antidote to my horrible hostel experience. In fact, we liked it so much we got up at the crack of dawn (well, 9am) and headed straight to Bol again the next day. Lying on this beach, I really felt all my troubles melt completely away. It was glorious!

Photobucket

Photobucket

On our way back to Supetar we stopped in the beautiful little town of Milna for dinner. It was miles and miles down a seemingly never ending narrow, winding road, but it was worth every minute of terror I felt on that drive. It was just so beautiful! 

Photobucket

I could have sat by the little harbour there forever. 

13 comments:

  1. Have loved your Croatia posts :) would love to go there, how did you get from place to place/how easy was it to travel around? and was it really expensive? (ha can you tell I'm thinking of going!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaah thank you! :) It was really quite easy to travel around actually. We got ferries most places and the occasional bus - both were easy enough to figure out. We basically went to the bus station/ferry port when we arrived somewhere and figured out the best way to get to the next place - we had tried to arrange things online beforehand but found it impossible to figure things out! I was kind of scared going there, but it was much easier than I thought. We flew in to Split and got the ferry straight to Hvar, then the ferry from Hvar to Korcula and a bus (that went on a ferry) from Korcula to Dubrovnik, then the bus to Split again and the ferry to Brac and then we got the ferry back to Split and finally spent some real time in Split! It wasn't too expensive - flights were the worst thing but I think if you didn't go in peak times it would be better - easyjet fly out of stansted to Split and Dubrovnik, I think we spent about £200 on flights each in total. Accommodation was generally under £20 a night, for a private double room in a guest house and ferry and bus tickets weren't expensive at all. I can't quite remember how much exactly, but pretty reasonable. Aah I want to go back so much! It was definitely one of the best holidays I've had :D It's such a beautiful country - you have to go! xxxx

      Delete
    2. Ooo doesn't sound too difficult then. Had tried researching a bit on the internet for ferries and things but wasn't very clear! Thanks for explaining it so well and giving me a better idea. Now to persuade the boyfriend that Croatia needs to be our next holiday :) and £20 sounds really decent for a night! Thanks again :D xxx

      Delete
  2. Nice post! And Croatia seems amazing!
    Hope you had a good time!

    Hugs
    JK
    http://mrkanerule.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recap. Looks beautiful from your photos. xA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! That beach is so pretty - I'm glad you had fun there so it wasn't a total bust like the hostel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are all beautiful photos! Nice place to stay and unwind for a while.
    Thanks for sharing!

    Much love from the SABO SKIRT girls!
    SHOP: http://www.saboskirt.com
    BLOG: http://www.saboskirt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are such lovely photos!
    -Charlotte
    http://www.incharlottesshoes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. such beautiful photographs :)

    ENTER MY CLOTHES GIVEAWAY, PICK FROM MAX C CLOTHING LINE!
    http://haveapeekinsidemywardrobe.blogspot.co.uk/
    Andrea Antoniou
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. this looks like too much fun...

    http://theproverbs.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. looks absolutely beautiful. hope you had a really great time!xx

    ReplyDelete