19/10/2012

red lip favourites

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Left to Right: MAC Dubonnet, Revlon Strawberry Suede, Revlon Lip Butter Candy Apple, MAC Ruby Woo, Revlon Cherries in the Snow.


It might be an Autumn/Winter thing - what colour is more festive than red? - it might be my inner vamp trying to escape the dishevelled, grungy parameters I keep her in, or it might all be down to the return of No Doubt and Gwen Stefani's perpetually perfect ruby pout, but for some reason right now I cannot stop going for a bright red lip. I thought I'd share some of my favourites with you, because if anyone is going to appreciate me talking about lipstick to such an extent, it's going to be you, isn't it?

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Revlon Lip Butter in Candy Apple

This has definitely been the one I've been reaching for most frequently. It's my go-to daytime red as it's easy to apply, easy to wear, feels moisturising, wears well and fades fairly uniformly. It's a vivid, slightly orange-red that really brightens the face. A high-impact red with none of the high-maintenance. I quite like to keep this in my handbag, if on no-lipstick days I suddenly decide to change my mind.


Photobucket  Photobucket

Revlon Matte Lipstick in Strawberry Suede

Strawberry Suede is more of a coral/orange red that's very bright, but, thanks to its matte finish, it's not too lurid for day. Although it is matte, I find it to be really velvety and not at all drying. For some reason, I love to wear this on crisp, frosty mornings... it just feels right. This has sadly been discontinued, but if you are interested, you could probably find it on eBay.


  PhotobucketPhotobucket

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow

I was a little loath to include this at first, because I can never quite decide if this is a very deep pink or a very raspberry red, but I came to the conclusion that it was just too nice a shade not to include. Regardless of its colour, this is a magically flattering shade. It makes my teeth and eyes look whiter and suits all the skin tones of all the friends I have forced this lipstick upon. (I'm a little fanatical.) Glides on smooth like a dream and it's been around since 1953! There's a matching nail colour too, and I secretly love being all matchy-matchy and wearing the two together. 

PhotobucketPhotobucket

MAC Ruby Woo

This is the ultimate movie star red. It's incredibly matte and incredibly dry, but it does last forever and if you have exfoliated and moisturised your lips well beforehand (this is what I use) then it really, really won't budge. And you won't have to deal with it sticking to any dry areas. As it's so dry, I find it best to apply with a lip brush; it's a little difficult to start off straight from the bullet, but if I need a touch up, I can get away with going straight in. It's a serious, blue-toned red that demands some serious attention. Not for the faint of heart; it may make you wiggle around like a 50s starlet and flirt unabashedly with bartenders. 


       Photobucket             Photobucket

MAC Dubonnet

This was my first ever MAC lipstick, so it's kind of my baby and I'm totally in love with it. Like our old friend Ruby Woo it's another serious red. But if Ruby Woo is a playful flirt and a bit of a tease, Dubonnet is a vampy seductress, who does not take no for an answer. It's an 'Amplified' finish so it's incredibly pigmented and creamy and comfortable to wear, with spectacular staying power. It's warm with kind of brown undertones and I think it looks particularly striking against pale skin, but I expect it would flatter all. It's my absolute favourite winter lipstick, and if you're in the mood for vamping it up, I highly suggest you give Dubonnet a whirl.

So there we have it; my favourite red lipsticks. I hope you found this useful if you're in the market for a new red lippie, or if you're looking for a more daytime appropriate red, or if you're just a lipstick junkie (like me) who's constantly looking for new excuses to buy more.

Speaking of excuses, do you have any suggestions for reds I should try? What are your favourite red lipsticks? 


7 comments:

  1. VERY jealous of your red lipstick collection- all such nice shades. You suit them all!! Ruby Woo is already on my christmas wish-list! Need to get my mitts on the Revlon lip butter too...xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, the red-or-pink Cherries in the Snow dilemma! I did a blog post about it when I first got one, and I think I described it as "KER-POW PINK!" It's one of my favourites too. I've got a Revlon lip butter in a very similar shade, which has the added benefit of being all moisturisey and easy to wear as well as the magical teeth-whitening properties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all look absolutely amazing on you! The only one I have is Cherries in the Snow and I adore it. Now I want to try the others too! You're bad for my bank balance hehe <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look very pretty in red lipstick! :D

    Anyway Jennifer, I would like you and your readers to come join us in fun events organized by our Bloggers Against Social Injustice committee & also at the same time do your part and spread the words of a good cause.

    We are the new Bloggers Against Social Injustice network for fashion bloggers to come together to make this world a better place.

    You can let the unheard voices be heard by a click away! :D

    Website: http://bloggersagainstsocialinjustice.blogspot.com
    Facebook: Click here for our Facebook
    Twitter: Click here for our Twitter

    I hope to see you there! :)
    Cassandra
    backtofive.blogspot.com
    Bloggers Against Social Injustice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely colours!

    http://thefashioninbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Cherries in the snow, it's totally my favourite red lipstick (if it can be classified as that - I can't decided either!) You really made me want to get Strawberry Suede and Candy Apple. I feel like MAC and Revlon make some of the best red lippies! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a fan of drugstore cosmetics but that Revlon lipstick looks really good!

    ReplyDelete