24/08/2013

winter white

 photo proenzaschoulerwhite_zpsc19fb84a.jpg  photo celinewhite_zpsb71eb232.jpg

Proenza Schouler Fall RTW 2013, Céline Fall RTW 2013

 photo chloewhite_zps762e7c17.jpg  photo tibiwhite_zpsfeae86ee.jpg

Chloé Fall RTW 2013, Tibi Fall RTW 2013


Wouldn't it be wonderful to be the woman who wears all white in winter?

Usually we think of  black as the colour of mystery, but white can evoke just as much intrigue. A woman in winter white speaks of wealth, grace and a certain hauteur, and in a sea of black, grey and navy coats, a white look makes a bold statement. It sneers at its underlings in safe and ubiquitous black "look how graceful I am. I've kept this beautiful white coat clean and pristine all day."

The white coat is a challenge. One tiny spot of dirt or spilled latte is all it takes for the grace, class and elegance to disappear completely. Illusion ruined. Personally, I am much too grubby and haphazard an individual to maintain the crisp cleanness of a white coat. Some of my favourite things are black coffee, red wine and red lipstick, and I will sit on or lean against any surface anywhere if I'm sufficiently tired. I refuse to iron clothes with anything other than my GHDs and I have never visited a dry cleaner. Well, I could never afford the heinous dry cleaning bills anyway. This probably all amounts to me being the most ill-advised white coat wearer in history.

But, I want one.

Even though I know I'll get it dirty on its first outing. Even though I'll probably spill my coffee on it, or smudge my lipstick on it, or use the sleeve to wipe crumbs off a train seat. It would just look so striking over an all black outfit, leather trousers and pointy toes, jeans and a grey t-shirt and bright red lips, a white dress and shiny silver heels, or a bright cocktail dress and black shoe boots. 

God, I want one. 

Maybe I'll ease myself in to the world of white. I'll start with a beautiful Tibi-esque chunky white polo neck, and if I manage to keep that in a decent state of repair, maybe I'll graduate to the white coat.

Maybe.




7 comments:

  1. I'd love to be able to wear a white coat! and haha I'm the same,my ghd is my iron

    ordaining serendipity

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this color for winter! followed you on gfc! follow me back?

    http://alovelystyle.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm obsessed with white at the moment, definitely hoping to incorporate more white items into my wardrobe over black this a/w xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Winter is the only season I can bring myself to wear white as I know I'm less likely to soil it. Great pieces

    xoxo
    Ivy
    http://www.purrpleivy.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm just not suited to wearing white. It does just look so chic though. x

      Delete
  5. I love anything white, I'm addicted to monochrome! So chic!

    I've recently started my own lifestyle blog, please check it out on...
    phazestyle.blogspot.co.uk

    Thanks x

    ReplyDelete