18/11/2013

On my bedside table

I saw one of these posts a while back on Meg's fantastic blog Lips So Facto, which I'm sure you're all subscribed to, but if not be sure to hop over and check it out. Her writing's intelligent, informative and interesting and she's a fantastic source of inspiration. Clearly - here I am brazenly stealing one of her ideas.

Anyway, I really like the bedside table blog. In a similar way to 'empties' posts it shows the products that you are actually using regularly, if not religiously. So after giving my table a bit of a dust, clearing off discarded jewellery, receipts, keys and all the other rubbish that somehow ends up there, I thought I'd show you what's currently helping me get my beauty sleep.

 photo P1120498_zpsa40366df.jpg

 photo P1120500_zpsae08f668.jpg

I'd never really considered getting a pillow spray until I was on holiday in a plush hotel and they had left little tiny bottles of pillow sprays on the beds. After a few nights of liberally dousing my pillow in the hotel's lavender scented pillow spray, I was hooked and decided to hunt down the much discussed This Works Deep Sleep Pillow Spray when I got home. It has a beautiful herby-lavender scent that I spritz on pillow and bedclothes before dropping off to sleep. Whether or not it actually helps me sleep, I'm not entirely sure, but it does help me relax and switch off after a long day. I'm getting perilously close to the end of the bottle now, and I'm definitely going to pick up another.

I ran out of my favourite Caudalie serum recently, and having heard a lot about Nip & Fab, I picked up their Glycolic Fix Serum when Boots had one of their amazing 3 for 2 deals on. It's early days with this product, but so far so good. My skin feels softer and smoother even in this sudden cold weather and it's a really nice product to smooth on. I do feel a slight stickiness on my skin after application, but as it's an overnight treatment this doesn't bother me. I could just be applying too much anyway!

The next two products I'm sure you've heard plenty of; Lucas' Papaw Ointment and La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo. The first I fell in love with when I went travelling. It's fantastic for blisters, cuts and insect bites but especially good for your lips, especially in this cold weather. Goodbye cracked, chapped lips! As for Effaclar Duo, this stuff has revolutionised my skin. Since using it, my skin has been clearer, smoother and brighter with much fewer breakouts. A definite repurchase!


 photo P1120499_zps446c9d3c.jpg

 photo P1120503_zps9f0622d8.jpg

I've always got a couple of books on the nightstand. Recently I went to a Man Ray exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, which was brilliant. I love that era in art, and did a project on Dada in my final year, so when I saw that there was a Man Ray portraits exhibition on, I had to go. I was really intrigued by his relationship with Lee Miller, and then with her work in the fashion industry, so when I saw this book in the gift shop I picked it up. It's really interesting so far, and a great book to dip in and out of. Oh, there's an interesting article on the pair here.

I'll admit I haven't read much of Bruce Chatwin's What Am I Doing Here, but again, it's a great book to just dip into now and again. It's a selection of short stories, essays and profiles about travel and misadventures in foreign countries, that so far has me itching to up and leave, and try my hand at travel writing or gonzo journalism, or just getting myself into trouble really.

 photo P1120502_zps03dc0657.jpg


I drink a ridiculous amount of tea, and love a cup before bed. My current favourite is Pukka's Green Chai, which was a little housewarming gift from one of my lovely friends when I moved in here. It's nice and warming - perfect for cosying up in bed with a book, candle flickering in the background. As much as I love summer, sometimes it's nice to snuggle up in bed and be all warm and cosy when it's freezing and miserable outside!

I'm gonna go pour myself a cup of tea, I think.

What are your nighttime essentials?

4 comments:

  1. I love Pukka's green chai too. I didn't used to like green tea so I used that as a transition and now like both! A pillow spray may have to be something I invest in as I have not been sleeping recently because of uni stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good isn't it ! Definitely give a pillow spray a try, they're really relaxing, a nice night time ritual.

      Delete
  2. Your beside table is so neat and tidy, and looks like you've got some great stuff on it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your blog, would you like to follow each other? Let me know and I will follow u back
    XO

    ReplyDelete